A Masterclass in developing process, exploring possibilities, taught over three days.
Imagine and reflect upon land lines and edges; bring your experience and observation of landscape to explore and develop personal ideas. For inspiration seek out edges within landscape, field lines and hedges, tracks and pathways, riverbanks and canals or shoreline, rocks, sand and sea. Respond to these tactile places revealing ideas through intuitive experimentation.
Work with textile processes explored in previous workshops with Amanda combining papers with cloth and colour creating tactile surfaces to manipulate and enhance with line and texture in hand or machine stitch.
The course expands skills in expressive painterly mixed media techniques with paper cloth and stitch. Consider composition; select and simplify adopting a less is more approach to create personal design ideas from your chosen source material. Develop these thoughts through imaginative experimentation with processes; select, fragment, rejoin, insert, rearrange and compose thoughts through to a resolved piece.
In preparation for the course try to explore some of your chosen inspiration through loose drawing and colour work as a starting point for the development of your work. This can be presented in a working sketchbook with photographic images of inspirational source material. The course will allow time for further sketchbook development and exploration with your tutor Amanda, who will bring a variety of resources for you to refer to and work with if you wish.
- Working sketchbook
- A number 10 or 12 round brush, a ½ inch bristle brush
- Needles for hand stitch
- Sewing machine with drop feed and embroidery foot
- Selection of threads for use with machine and hand stitch
- Cotton muslin to use as a surface to layer with papers and threads- approx ½ metre to allow for flexibility
Papers, threads and additional art materials, equipment and resources for student use will be supplied at a cost of £4-
- Papers- newsprint and tissue
- Tea bag paper.
- Wet strength tissue ½ sheet each
- Acrylics in landscape colours and white and Paynes grey.
- Cellulose paste
- Thermogauze for experimentation and development
- Plastic sheeting for laying out and making work.
Bookings are closed for this event.