Hot, Wet and Sticky is tutored by Alysn Midgelow Marsden. For more information about Alysn, visit www.alysnmidgelowmarsden.com
Hot Wet and sticky is a mixed media and hand stitch delight using paper waxing, gilding and fibre felts. We will explore the possibilities of using our stashes of recycled, handmade or painted papers along with hot wax to create textures, antiqued surfaces; we will create fibre felts from linen and silk fibres and we will gild using fine metal leaf. Brought together with some inspiration from nature, from African textiles and jewellery or other inspirations, you will create unique, textured, fabulous surfaces including simple, bold hand and/or machine stitching .
All the techniques used can be taken further in your own time.
Dates, please take careful note
Wed 8th and Thurs 9th November 2023 from 10.00 til 16.00
Hot, Wet and Sticky fee is £220. You should pay the deposit of £110 to secure your place. On receipt of the deposit, you will receive a confirmation email. the balance should be paid two weeks before the start of the class
Requirements, please bring
All marked with a ‘*’ will be available to use
- Any design sources you are working on(though working intuitively is a great way to create) *
- Paper scissors
- Non-stick baking parchment *
- Pen and paper for notes or sketching
- Hand stitching requisites
- Hand stitching threads – a selection of what you have (inc. metal threads and some chunky threads)
- Selection of beads and sequins
- Sewing machine, spare needlesand requisites of you wish to machine stitch
- An old flat iron which you don’t mind getting very dirty *
- Cheap paint brush
- Dry flat paint brush ½” or similar
- 2 ‘j-cloths’ (or more)
- Metal desert or tablespoon.
- Plastic shopping bag or other to cover the table.
- Stencils *
- Range of Papers – include what you have of: wrapping paper, handmade papers, brown paper, tissue paper etc.
- Light weight sew-in vilene or similar- approx. 1/4 m *
- Old newspapers –2 or 3 should suffice
- Iridescent or metallic oil bars or ‘Treasure Gold’ or ‘Metallic Rub-ons’ or metallic solvent based paint pads. (or other similar non-waterbased metallics.
- Candles or emergency/tea lights – 3should suffice *
- Transfer adhesive/Bondaweb –approx. A4 is plenty *
- Matt medium or matt varnish *
- Dutch Metal (also known as transfer leaf or Schlag)Approx. 5 sheets *
- Fibres – silk, linen, hemp, banana, soy, etc. – whatever you have as a selection *
- Heavy gel medium and spreader *
- Standard Angelina fibres – 1 or 2 colours *
Bookings are closed for this event.