‘Abstract field patterns’- a source to inspire Tutor Amanda Hislop
To Return to the Amanda’s classes, please click here
Take inspiration from colours and textures within field patterns to develop surfaces for mixed media and stitch. Work with a free and painterly approach to create unique sample pieces using a combination of collage with paint, drawing and stitch, hand or machine work.
Class fees: £150 A deposit of £75 will secure your place, with the balance to be paid when the course begins
Class size: 6 max
Dates: 2 days Thu/Fri, 7&8 February 2019 10.00-16.00
Additional information: Please bring your own Lunch, but teas, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day. please note there is no shop in the village
Explore collage and painterly techniques to make layered paper and cloth surfaces inspired by personal observations of textures found in field patterns and geographical terrain. Work with techniques to incorporate line and texture on to layered cloth surfaces, using colour with stitch to add further subtle layers. Develop stitched drawing skills through free machine stitch emphasising line and texture found in fields and boundaries. Enjoy a free approach to stitch adding definition to surfaces, experimenting with colour and weight of threads to create dynamic textural interest within the samples.
* Analysis and interpretation of line, texture and colour in paint and stitch
* Collage and layering techniques
* Use of acrylic colour
* Colour mixing using a limited palette
Please bring with you:
* Inspirational images of field patterns, boundaries and land relief, photographs or sketchbook material; resources will be available.
* A selection of brushes for use with acrylic colour.
* Apron or overall, please wear suitable clothing.
* Sewing machine with drop feed and darning foot/embroidery foot
* A range of threads for use in machine and or hand work; a selection of colours and weights would be useful, including heavier threads which can be wound on the bobbin.
* Basic sewing kit, scissors pins needles etc.
* Sketchbook/ notebook pencil/pen for notes and ideas.
Materials provided by tutor. The approximate cost of these will be £5.
* Sketchbooks and resources, samples etc.
* Muslin and calico
* Tea bag and conservation tissue
* Bag threads and fibres
* Cellulose paste- cmc thickener
* Thermo gauze
* Acrylic paint and mediums